Tips To Encourage Your Child To Exercise
We have ideas to help you make exercise an enjoyable part of your family’s life.
In a time when computers and digital devices occupy a significant amount of our attention—and our children’s attention, making time for fitness can be a challenge. But exercise is an important part of building healthy bones and muscles. We have some tips to help parents incorporate fun-filled physical activity into family life.
- Aim for about 35 minutes of activity every day, and don’t be afraid to break this time into shorter periods. Try a 15-minute walk and 20 minutes of sports.
- Keep a daily log of time spent on family activities. With healthy bones in mind, plan exercise like brisk walking, jogging, or hiking to build strength in legs, hips, and the lower spine.
- Don’t forget to count family chores as part of your family’s exercise plan. Raking leaves, gardening, painting, or walking the dog are great ways to get exercise.
- Make fitness fun. Incorporate sports like baseball and basketball with dancing, step aerobics, stair climbing, tennis, skiing, skating, karate, or bowling. Think about toys and gifts that encourage activity.
- Lead by example and emphasize recreation over winning. Let your children see your own enjoyment in physical activity. When children associate exercise with fun, they are more likely embrace physical activity for life.
- Plan activities that involve the entire family, like walking, biking, or swimming; look for exercise that everyone will enjoy and that won’t be embarrassing or too difficult.
- Reduce the amount of sedentary time your family spends watching TV or playing video games.
With awareness and a bit of planning, you can introduce more activity into your family’s life. The exercise you share together will develop healthy habits for your children, and improve your own fitness level too.
Sports medicine: Expert bone, joint, and muscle care
From Olympians to pro athletes to youth sports and those that just want to be more active – Summit Orthopedics delivers expert care by fellowship-trained sports medicine physicians. If you are recently injured or concerned about ongoing pain, Summit Orthopedics sports medicine specialists have the expertise to evaluate your discomfort and develop a plan to quickly and safely help you get back to being active.
Summit has convenient locations across the Minneapolis St. Paul metro area, serving Minnesota and Western Wisconsin. We have state-of-the-art centers for comprehensive orthopedic care in Eagan, MN, Vadnais Heights, MN, and Woodbury, MN, as well as several additional community clinics.
Reach your 2018 fitness goals with a customized exercise prescription from Summit Orthopedics.
Discover how your holiday cookie baking can be as safe as it is festive.
Dr. Wahlquist explains how herniated disc symptoms are treated.