Summer Safety For Your Child
Summer is a peak injury season for children. We have some tips to keep your children safe as they enjoy the warmer weather.
When the temperatures warm up, children head for the door to play outside with their friends. There are lots of developmental and social benefits to physical activity, and it’s healthy for children to explore the great outdoors. But increased activity also increases injury risks.
Adolescents in the midst of growth spurts are developing bone faster than they are developing muscles, and are more susceptible to injury as a result. Other children may attempt activities they don’t have the skills to enjoy safely. Sometimes, they are in such a hurry to resume summer games that they don’t take the time to wear appropriate shoes or helmets and protective gear. For children engaged in single sports, overtraining one muscle group can also raise injury risks.
A few simple suggestions can help your child enjoy an uninterrupted season of active summer fun.
- Make sure your child wears protective elbow and knee guards and a helmet when biking or riding a scooter.
- Discourage your children from wearing flip flops and crocs when biking; they don’t provide enough protection for toes. Bump toe sandals are a better choice.
- Check the playground where your child plays for safety features. Make sure the equipment is sturdy and in good working order.
- If your child is involved in sports, monitor training activities, and be sensitive to signs that your child may be overtraining.
- For children who love active learning, the Minnesota Safety Council and Safe Kids Minnesota are partnering with AAA to raise awareness about preventing summer injuries. On June 16th, children can go on a Summer Safety Safari at the Como Park Zoo & Conservatory in St. Paul to learn key safety lessons. When they complete the safari, they’ll be rewarded with a free bicycle helmet.
The good news is that even when children are injured, they usually heal much faster than adults. The benefits of an active summer will always outweigh any injury risks, so don’t hesitate to send your child into the sunshine to encourage active habits that will contribute to a longer, healthier life.
Check out our Family Fun Cycling Guide for more great tips and recommended Minnesota trails.
Learn more about Summit’s Cycling Program and personalized cycling evaluations.
Summit Orthopedics supports healthy communities
Community health flourishes when specialized orthopedic care is conveniently available close to home. Summit Orthopedics is proud of our fellowship-trained subspecialty teams offering the full spectrum of orthopedic expertise in bone, tendon, ligament, muscle, and joint conditions—in addition to our wellness, prevention, and rehabilitation services. We have the expertise to proactively improve fitness, evaluate discomfort, and deliver personalized treatment to quickly and safely return you to the lifestyle you love.
Start your journey to a healthier, more active self. Visit our Facebook page to learn about our wellness services and schedule a free wellness consultation online. Find your orthopedic expert, request an appointment online, or call us at (651) 968–5201 to schedule a consultation.
Summit has convenient locations across the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area, serving Minnesota and western Wisconsin. We have state-of-the-art centers for comprehensive orthopedic care in Eagan, MN, Plymouth, MN, Vadnais Heights, MN, and Woodbury, MN, as well as additional community clinics throughout the metro and southern Minnesota.