Tips For Maintaining Your Weight Through The Holiday Season
The temptations of the holiday season can make it difficult to keep extra pounds at bay. We’ve got some tips to help you avoid weight gain while you celebrate with colleagues, friends, and family.
Holiday feasts are notorious for tempting us to indulge in too many treats. Researchers at the National Institutes of Health report that most Americans never lose the weight they gain during winter holidays. Over the years, those pounds can add up. We have some tips to help you stay trim through the upcoming festive season.
The best way to enjoy your Thanksgiving feast and holiday parties without weight gain is to make portion control your priority. You don’t have to munch broccoli spears while everyone else is enjoying pie and cookies, as long as you are disciplined in the size of your servings. We know it’s not easy to maintain willpower in the face of temptation, and we have some techniques that will make it easier to eat wisely.
- Don’t face the buffet on an empty stomach. It’s difficult to control your portions when you are hungry. Break out the broccoli spears, or another nutritious snack, before you arrive at holiday gatherings. If there’s no time for a smart snack, ask your host for a glass of water before you begin nibbling.
- Embrace the holiday spirit by focusing on conversation with family and friends. Think of holiday parties as a time to talk and reconnect. The more time you spend catching up on the events of the year, the less time you will spend filling your plate.
- Eat slowly and savor your food. When you pace yourself as you eat, you will begin to feel full after eating less food. If you are attending a cocktail party, decide in advance how many appetizers you will allow yourself. Select one at a time and mingle as you eat. If you are attending a dinner party, set your fork down between bites to help you concentrate on enjoying your food.
- Choose the smallest plate at the buffet, and don’t heap helpings on your plate. Simple fresh fruits and vegetables are great choices. Limit your servings of calorie-rich dips and sauces.
- Limit your cocktails. Alcohol is caloric, and after a few drinks it will be much more challenging to stay disciplined about what you eat.
- Make dessert an exercise in discrimination. Sweets are extra dangerous to the waistline. Instead of sampling all of the treats on the dessert table, limit yourself to one small serving of the confection you love best. If chocolate is your favorite decadent indulgence, linger over every bite.
While you are using these tips to control holiday portions, don’t forget the calorie-burning power of a long walk. Walking is excellent exercise for almost everyone. Besides being a great way to burn off a few of those goodies you couldn’t resist, a brisk walk is one of the best ways to maintain healthy bones. Try making a daily family walk one of your holiday traditions. Getting into the habit of daily exercise can help control the calories—and put you steps ahead if fitness is one of your New Year’s resolutions.
Summit Orthopedics supports healthy communities
Community health flourishes when specialized orthopedic care is conveniently available close to home. Summit Orthopedics is proud of our fellowship-trained subspecialty teams offering the full spectrum of orthopedic expertise in bone, tendon, ligament, muscle, and joint conditions—in addition to our wellness, prevention, and rehabilitation services. We have the expertise to proactively improve fitness, evaluate discomfort, and deliver personalized treatment to quickly and safely return you to the lifestyle you love.
Start your journey to a healthier, more active self. Visit our Facebook page to learn about our wellness services and schedule a free wellness consultation online. Find your orthopedic expert, request an appointment online, or call us at (651) 968–5201 to schedule a consultation.
Summit has convenient locations across the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area, serving Minnesota and western Wisconsin. We have state-of-the-art centers for comprehensive orthopedic care in Eagan, MN, Plymouth, MN, Vadnais Heights, MN, and Woodbury, MN, as well as additional community clinics throughout the metro and southern Minnesota.
More resources for you
- Wellness Resources To Reduce Stress Through The Holidays
- Dietitian-Approved Guide: How Little Steps Can Lead To Big Weight Loss
- Massage: A Luxurious Gift with Health Benefits
- Dietitian-Approved: A Smart Breakfast Treat To Bolster Will Power During The Holidays
- Tips For Smart Snacking On Holiday Treats
Learn how Dr. Hansen evaluates hip pain to identify hip replacement symptoms.
Learn how the meniscus cartilage supports knee health.
Learn more about why children are at risk for a buckle fracture.