Summit Wellness Resources Support The Twin Cities’ Top Fitness Ranking
This year, the Twin Cities bested Washington, D.C., to be named the most physically fit region in the nation by the American College of Sports Medicine. Do you know how your fitness level compares to that of your neighbors?
For the past 10 years, the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) has been ranking cities on an annual American Fit Index based on several fitness “areas of excellence.” In 2017, the Twin Cities took highest honors for community fitness from the ACSM’s 50,000 sports medicine experts.
Evaluating community health
The ACSM considers a number of factors when evaluating a community’s health, including the following:
- What percentage of residents meet federal aerobic and strength activity guidelines? (In the Cities, the answer is 80.6 percent.)
- How many of us get at least seven hours of sleep each day? (Seven of every 10 of us get our recommended winks daily.)
- Our region also scores high marks for the percentage of our population living within a 10-minute walk to a park.
In addition to scoring high marks for these factors, most Twin Cities residents do not have high blood pressure or diabetes, and seldom report feeling ill. Our overall scores launched us to the top of the American Fit Index, but the ACSM cautions that Minnesotans still struggle to get in three servings of vegetables a day—and, we’d be healthier if more of us gave up smoking.
Cultivate good fitness and nutrition habits
At Summit, we recognize that living in the most fit region of the country doesn’t necessarily confer fitness on each of us personally. If your fitness habits could use some fine-tuning—and whose couldn’t?—we are here to help. Summer is the perfect time to cultivate habits that will pay long-term wellness benefits. We also have some wonderful resources available to help you reach your personal fitness summit in time to fully enjoy these summer days:
Take your first step to better fitness
- Want to work on getting in those three servings of vegetables—and healthier nutrition—every day? Make an appointment individually, or with the entire family, to consult with our Summit’s nutrition and wellness team.
- Could your weekly fitness regime use a jump start? Consider a free Summit Wellness Consult to discuss your fitness, nutrition, sleep, and stress challenges, and learn about the Summit services—from personal and couples’ strength training to yoga classes—available to support you as you take your next step toward better health. Schedule an appointment here: https://www.summitortho.com/services/wellness/wellness-consults/
- Ready to make an exercise class part of your weekly routine? Try one of the yoga or fitness classes offered through Summit at the HealthEast Sports Center. You can drop in to explore one class, or sign up for a series of classes here: https://www.summitortho.com/services/wellness/fitness/
- Have a question about how to start a training program or about a niggling ache or pain that won’t go away? Check out the searchable Articles and Tips section of our Summit Orthopedics website, where we address a wide range of health-related topics, from how to safely start a new exercise program to when you should consult one of our orthopedic specialists. The answer to your question could be a click away: https://www.summitortho.com/articles/
Summit Orthopedics is proud to see our community recognized for its fitness habits, but our first priority will always be to provide the resources, tools, and expertise you need to achieve your personal fitness goals.
Summit Orthopedics offers proactive wellness services
At Summit Orthopedics, we are committed to providing the resources, tools, and expertise you need to achieve your personal fitness goals. Our Summit wellness center is home to proactive wellness classes and training services for you and the whole family. Wellness experts can work with you or your physician to design an exercise program that supports lifelong health through exercise.
Start your journey to a more active self through our wellness services offered at the HealthEast Sports Center. Schedule a free wellness consultation online or call (651) 968-5766. Find the group fitness class that works with your schedule. Visit our Facebook page to learn all about the wellness events we offer to safely promote good health throughout your life.
Did you know that a hip labral repair doesn’t always require surgery?
Our wellness program now offers more services in expanded locations.
Your heel pain could flag a heel fracture requiring expert evaluation and treatment.