Dr. Castro’s Approach to Care
“I view the foot and ankle as a ‘perfect machine’ that is taken for granted…when it breaks down the effects can be profound. My focus and the focus of my team is to help get you back on your feet doing what you love.”
Northern Arizona University — Flagstaff, AZ
University of North Texas — Denton, TX
Michigan State University | Mount Clemens General Hospital — Mount Clemens, MI
- Orthopedic Foot and Ankle
Portland Foot and Ankle Center — South Portland, ME
- AO/ASIF — Bellinzona, Switzerland
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics (AOAO)
- American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
- AO/ASIF Alumni Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
Dr. Castro enjoys spending time with his wife, watching with amazement as their little people grow, being outside, and traveling.
Conditions We Treat
- Foot and ankle fracture care and reconstruction
- Sports-related injuries
- Tendon and ligament injuries and disorders
Survey feedback for replace_with_js
- Castro MD, Ankle Fractures, Pearls: AO Trauma Foot & Ankle Symposium, Sydney September 2011
- Castro MD, The cavus foot: AO Trauma Foot & Ankle Symposium, Sydney September 2011
- Castro MD, Management of calcaneal fracture malunion: AO Trauma Foot & Ankle Symposium, Sydney September 2011
- Castro MD, Osteotomies of the calcaneus: AO Trauma Europe: Masters foot & ankle workshop, Lucerne April 2011
- Castro MD, Corrective osteotomies of the hindfoot: AO Trauma Foot & Ankle Symposium, Stockholm September 2010
- Castro MD, The agility total ankle: current concepts update. Sem Arthroplasty 21(4):267-74 2010.
- Chimera N, MD Castro, K Manal. Function and strength following gastrocnemius recession in subjects with isolated gastrocnemius contracture. Med Sci Sports Ex. 41(5):293, May 2009.
- Castro, MD, JP Maurer. Fractures of the ankle. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 4:59-74 AAOS, Chicago 2009
- Brey J, MD Castro. Salvage of late effects of compartment syndrome in the leg and foot. Foot & Ankle Clinics, 13(4):767-772 December 2008
- Bowers AJ, MD Castro, The Mechanics Behind the Image: Foot and Ankle Pathology Associated with Gastrocnemius Contracture. Seminars in Musculoskeletal Radiology 2007 11(1):83-90
- Castro, MD, Insufficiency Fractures After Total Ankle Replacement. Techniques in Foot & Ankle Surgery. 6(1):15-21, March 2007
- Castro MD. Gastrocnemius recession: Technique and applications. AOFAS Specialty Day, San Diego 2007.
- Castro MD, The effects of equines, Jefferson University Hospital Musculoskeletal Imaging Symposium. Philadelphia, June 2006
- Castro MD. The effects of equines, University of Pennsylvania: Lower Extremity Update. Philadelphia, May 2006
- Castro, MD, Arthrodesis of the navicular. Foot Ankle Clin 2004; 9(1):73-83
- Castro, MD, J Chris Coetzee; Single and double arthrodesis for Grade III PTTI. Op tech ortho 2(4):232-236, December 2003
- Coetzee, JC, MD Castro; Accurate measurement of ankle range of motion after total ankle arthroplasty. CORR 2004 424:27-31
- Coetzee JC, MD Castro, The indications and biomechanical rationale for various hindfoot procedures in the treatment of posterior tibialis tendon dysfunction. Foot Ankle Clin. 2003 Sep;8(3):453-9.
- Castro, MD; Perspectives on biomechanics related to total ankle replacement. Foot Ankle Clin 2002; 7(4)679-693
- Castro, MD; Ankle Arthrodesis vs. Ankle Replacement 31st Annual Hennepin Country Medical Center Orthopaedic & Trauma Seminar Minneapolis 2001
- Castro, MD; Operative Treatment of Grade II Posterior Tibial Tendon Insufficiency Grand Rounds, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 2001
- Castro, MD; Total Ankle Replacement: Pre-operative considerations Orthopaedic Learning Center, Rosemont 2001
- Castro, MD and Klaue, K; Revisiting an alternative technique for first MTP joint arthrodesis. Foot Ankle Int. 22:687-688, 2001.
- Castro, MD; Ankle Pain – When it’s not a sprain Minnesota Spring Training, Bloomington 2001
- Castro, MD; Surgical Treatment of Lateral Ankle Instability Minnesota Sports Medicine Spring Training, Bloomington 2001
- Castro, MD; Ankle and Subtalar Instability Minnesota Sports Medicine Spring Training, Bloomington 2001
- Castro, MD; Operative Treatment of Osteochondral Fractures of the Talus ACOS Boston 2000
- Castro, MD and GC Pomeroy; Lateral wall talus fracture nonunion: An etiology of persistent pain after lateral ankle sprain. AAOS 1999.
- Castro, MD and GC Pomeroy; Arthrodesis for degenerative disease of the hallux metatarsophalangeal and interphalangeal joints. Op Tech Ortho., 9(1): 1-7, 1999.
- Castro, MD and GC Pomeroy; Traumatic injuries to the midfoot and forefoot. Wilkins, pp. 113-132, 1998
- Castro, MD and RB Irwin; Aneurysmal bone cyst of the patella. Am J Ortho. 1996; 25(10):717-719
- Maddox, DM and MD Castro; Meniscal repair. American College of Osteopathic Surgeons, 1996
- Castro, MD; Complications in THA in the Community Hospital Setting: A 5 year Review. American College of Osteopathic Surgeons, 1995
- Castro, MD; Leischmaniasis in a returning gulf war vet. Michigan Academy of Osteopathic Physicians & Surgeons, 1992
- Castro, MD and SA Rasmussen; LDH isozymes in response to endurance and sprint training. Arizona Exercise Science & Sports Medicine Symposium, 1985