Michael Castro, D.O.Schedule an Appointment: (651) 968-5201
Ankle Sprains: Michael Castro, D.O.
Learn when an ankle sprain occurs and what steps to take in order to heal that injury. Featuring Summit Orthopedics’ foot and ankle experts Michael Castro, D.O., and colleague Tracy Rupke, M.D.
Dr. Castro’s Approach to Care
“I view the foot and ankle as a ‘perfect machine’ that is taken for granted…when it breaks down the effects can be profound. My focus and the focus of my team is to help get you back on your feet doing what you love.”
Northern Arizona University — Flagstaff, Arizona
University of North Texas — Denton, Texas
Michigan State University / Mount Clemens General Hospital — Mount Clemens, Michigan
- Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Fellowship, Portland Foot and Ankle Center — South Portland, Maine
- AO/ASIF Fellowship — Bellinzona, Switzerland
Spending time with my wife, watching with amazement as our little people grow, being outside and traveling
- American Osteopathic Academy of Orthopedics
- American Osteopathic Association
- AO/ASIF Alumni Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Castro MD, Ankle Fractures, Pearls: AO Trauma Foot & Ankle Symposium, Sydney September 2011
- Castro MD, The cavus foot: AO Trauma Foot & Ankle Symposium, Sydney September 2011
- Castro MD, Management of calcaneal fracture malunion: AO Trauma Foot & Ankle Symposium, Sydney September 2011
- Castro MD, Osteotomies of the calcaneus: AO Trauma Europe: Masters foot & ankle workshop, Lucerne April 2011
- Castro MD, Corrective osteotomies of the hindfoot: AO Trauma Foot & Ankle Symposium, Stockholm September 2010
- Castro MD, The agility total ankle: current concepts update. Sem Arthroplasty 21(4):267-74 2010.
- Chimera N, MD Castro, K Manal. Function and strength following gastrocnemius recession in subjects with isolated gastrocnemius contracture. Med Sci Sports Ex. 41(5):293, May 2009.
- Castro, MD, JP Maurer. Fractures of the ankle. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 4:59-74 AAOS, Chicago 2009
- Brey J, MD Castro. Salvage of late effects of compartment syndrome in the leg and foot. Foot & Ankle Clinics, 13(4):767-772 December 2008
- Bowers AJ, MD Castro, The Mechanics Behind the Image: Foot and Ankle Pathology Associated with Gastrocnemius Contracture. Seminars in Musculoskeletal Radiology 2007 11(1):83-90
- Castro, MD, Insufficiency Fractures After Total Ankle Replacement. Techniques in Foot & Ankle Surgery. 6(1):15-21, March 2007
- Castro MD. Gastrocnemius recession: Technique and applications. AOFAS Specialty Day, San Diego 2007.
- Castro MD, The effects of equines, Jefferson University Hospital Musculoskeletal Imaging Symposium. Philadelphia, June 2006
- Castro MD. The effects of equines, University of Pennsylvania: Lower Extremity Update. Philadelphia, May 2006
- Castro, MD, Arthrodesis of the navicular. Foot Ankle Clin 2004; 9(1):73-83
- Castro, MD, J Chris Coetzee; Single and double arthrodesis for Grade III PTTI. Op tech ortho 2(4):232-236, December 2003
- Coetzee, JC, MD Castro; Accurate measurement of ankle range of motion after total ankle arthroplasty. CORR 2004 424:27-31
- Coetzee JC, MD Castro, The indications and biomechanical rationale for various hindfoot procedures in the treatment of posterior tibialis tendon dysfunction. Foot Ankle Clin. 2003 Sep;8(3):453-9.
- Castro, MD; Perspectives on biomechanics related to total ankle replacement. Foot Ankle Clin 2002; 7(4)679-693
- Castro, MD; Ankle Arthrodesis vs. Ankle Replacement 31st Annual Hennepin Country Medical Center Orthopaedic & Trauma Seminar Minneapolis 2001
- Castro, MD; Operative Treatment of Grade II Posterior Tibial Tendon Insufficiency Grand Rounds, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis 2001
- Castro, MD; Total Ankle Replacement: Pre-operative considerations Orthopaedic Learning Center, Rosemont 2001
- Castro, MD and Klaue, K; Revisiting an alternative technique for first MTP joint arthrodesis. Foot Ankle Int. 22:687-688, 2001.
- Castro, MD; Ankle Pain – When it’s not a sprain Minnesota Spring Training, Bloomington 2001
- Castro, MD; Surgical Treatment of Lateral Ankle Instability Minnesota Sports Medicine Spring Training, Bloomington 2001
- Castro, MD; Ankle and Subtalar Instability Minnesota Sports Medicine Spring Training, Bloomington 2001
- Castro, MD; Operative Treatment of Osteochondral Fractures of the Talus ACOS Boston 2000
- Castro, MD and GC Pomeroy; Lateral wall talus fracture nonunion: An etiology of persistent pain after lateral ankle sprain. AAOS 1999.
- Castro, MD and GC Pomeroy; Arthrodesis for degenerative disease of the hallux metatarsophalangeal and interphalangeal joints. Op Tech Ortho., 9(1): 1-7, 1999.
- Castro, MD and GC Pomeroy; Traumatic injuries to the midfoot and forefoot. Wilkins, pp. 113-132, 1998
- Castro, MD and RB Irwin; Aneurysmal bone cyst of the patella. Am J Ortho. 1996; 25(10):717-719
- Maddox, DM and MD Castro; Meniscal repair. American College of Osteopathic Surgeons, 1996
- Castro, MD; Complications in THA in the Community Hospital Setting: A 5 year Review. American College of Osteopathic Surgeons, 1995
- Castro, MD; Leischmaniasis in a returning gulf war vet. Michigan Academy of Osteopathic Physicians & Surgeons, 1992
- Castro, MD and SA Rasmussen; LDH isozymes in response to endurance and sprint training. Arizona Exercise Science & Sports Medicine Symposium, 1985
Patient Survey Comment
Dr. Castro fixed my ankle right up, surgery was a breeze recovery was even better. Thanks
Dr Castro is the Best! He is and excellent surgeon and takes time to answer all of our questions! He did a great job with our son Max’s broken leg.
Dr. Castro and his entire staff are outstanding, you are very fortunate to have all of them as part of their team. I would recommend them to anyone. After my surgery and treatment ended, they just invited me back to say hello. Outstanding!!!
comment from patient satisfaction survey
Dr. Castro and the entire surgery staff was great – a 5 is not high enough to explain how I was treated. Thank you to everyone!
Dr. Castro is an exceptional doctor. He actively listens, involves me in his thought process and recommendations, and feels like a true partner in helping to heal my injury. His expertise and knowledge has made it possible for me to have complete confidence in the care he is providing.
Articles and Videos from Michael Castro, D.O.
Ask the Expert: Foot and Ankle Video Series
Ask the Expert: Foot and Ankle Video Series
Meet the Expert: Doctor Bio Video Series
You know that push-ups strengthen your core. But did you know that there’s a foot push-up that can test the health of your arches?
Practice foot safety at the beach to make the most of lazy summer days enjoying the sand between your toes.
The style of shoes you’re wearing can be bad for your feet. We’ve got a list of fashion-forward shoe styles, and the not-so-fashionable damage they may do to feet.