Dr. Samuel Russ’ Approach to Care
“Our mobility is so integral to our quality of life. I take a conservative approach to care, reserving surgery as the last option. My goal is to work with my patients to return them to the activities that they love – from high level athletics, work, enjoying time with friends and family, and everything in between.”
Foot and Ankle
St. Mary’s Orthopedics — Portland, ME
University of Minnesota — Minneapolis, MN
Doctor of Medicine
University of Minnesota Medical School — Minneapolis, MN
Bachelor of Arts | Theology and Pre Professional Studies
University of Notre Dame — Notre Dame, IN
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Spending time with my family, being outdoors, hiking, ballroom dancing, reading, basketball, and Notre Dame football.
- Russ S, Tompkins M, Nuckley D, Macalena J. Biomechanical comparison of patellar fixation techniques in medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med. 2015 Jan ;43( 1 ): 195-9.
- Estes JD, Reilly C, Trubey CM, Fletcher CV, Cory T J, Piatak M Jr, Russ S, Anderson J, Reimann TG, Star R, Smith A, Tracy RP, Berglund A, Schmidt T, Coalter V, Chertova E, Smedley J, Haase AT, Lifson JD, Schacker TW. Antifibrotic therapy in Simian Immunodeficiency Virus infection preserves CD4+ T-Cell populations and improves immune reconstitution with antiretroviral therapy. J Infect Dis. 2015 Mar 1;211(5):744-54.
- Sanchez JL, Hunt PW, Reilly CS, Hatano H, Beilman GJ, Khoruts A, Jasurda JS, Somsouk M, Thorkelson A, Russ S, Anderson J, Deeks SG, Schacker TW. Lymphoid fibrosis occurs in long-term nonprogressors and persists with antiretroviral therapy, but may be reversible with curative interventions. J Infect Dis. 2015 Apr1 ;211 (7):1068-75.
Lecture | Teaching Presentations
- “Ankle Arthritis: Epidemiology, Workup, and Management.” Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis. Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. August 7,2019.
- “Does Articular Reduction Matter?” University of Minnesota Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. February 22, 2019.
- “Periprosthetic fractures about total hip arthroplasty: Management and results.” Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis. Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. June 20, 2018.
- “Global surgery and the Honduras experience.” University of Minnesota Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. March 16, 2018.
- “The weightbearing upper extremity: Shoulder pain in paraplegic patients.” Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis. Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. October 11, 2017.
- “Pediatric proximal femur fractures.” Regions Hospital Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. May 16, 2017.
- “The patellofemoral joint in total knee arthroplasty: Anatomy, complications, and management.” Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis. Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Rounds. January 13, 2016.
- “Septic tenosynovitis of the hand: Practice guidelines for diagnosis and management.” Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Minneapolis. Orthopaedic Surgery Grand Grounds. September 9, 2015.