Joint Replacement: 21 days prior
Getting you ready for surgery, one step at a time.
Movements such as bending, reaching, kneeling, and twisting can be painful after surgery. Assistive devices are designed to make life easier for you as you transition back to normal life. Everyone is different and there is a wide range of approaches to assistive devices.
We recommend all patients obtain a walker for assistance with walking after your procedure. You can obtain one from Summit’s bracing department by calling 651-968-5700. It will be important that you pick up your walker within the next couple of weeks, before your procedure.
Take a look at the list below and consider what other options may be most helpful for you, and pick them up ahead of your scheduled procedure date.
- Grab Bars: Allows for a more secure transfer into the shower or near the toilet.
- Reacher: Helps you grasp hard to reach items.
- Leg Lifter: Assists you in bringing your leg from the floor to the bed.
- Dressing Stick: Assists with getting clothing items on.
- Flexible or Rigid Sock Aid: Helps you to put on your socks.
- Long-Handled Shoe Horn: Slides your heels into shoes without bending over.
- Elastic Shoelaces: Turns tennis shoes into easy slip-ons.
- Raised Toilet Seat: Designed for comfort; most toilet seats are low and place undesired strain on the joints.
- Commode: Provides convenience for nighttime bathroom needs.
- Shower Chair: Provides greater comfort while showering and decreases risk of falls. Also a long-handled bath sponge can be helpful for showering.
- Tub Transfer Bench: Allows you to safely get into the shower in a seated position for those with a shower/tub combination.
- Handheld Shower Head: Allows more direct and adjustable water flow.
- Walker: Provides support while walking during recovery.
Where to Purchase
You may choose to purchase these items from medical supply stores, your local pharmacy, online, or home improvement centers. Please note that some may require extra time to special order items for you.
- Midwest Medical Services, 8400 Coral Sea St NE, Suite 10, Blaine, MN 55112, 763-780-0100 or 1-800-780-8553
- Apria Home Healthcare, 1645 Energy Park Drive, St. Paul, MN 55108, 1-888-492-7742
- Jackson Medical Equipment, 982 Thomas Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55104, 651-645-6221