How can I further reduce the risk of infection?
Our surgery centers continue to meet and exceed appropriate infection control standards and report lower infection rates relative to the national average. You can positively play a role in preventing infection.
The top 7 ways to protect yourself from infection:
- Keep your incision clean and dry.
- Strictly follow instructions on changing your dressing, washing hands before and after changing you dressing.
- Maintain high-hygiene standards (e.g., wearing clean clothing and regularly showering with protective covering over the incision).
- Discuss antibiotics with your doctor prior to any dental or medical procedure after surgery and tell them you have had recent surgery.
- Stay completely away from tubs, baths, swimming pools, hot tubs, and lakes until your doctor tells you it is safe to do so.
- If you develop a wound that is healing poorly anywhere on your body, have them evaluated promptly by a physician.
- Take antibiotic medications if instructed by your surgeon.
Ask the Expert: Spine Video Series
s>> Click the icon in the lower right corner to view the magazine in full screen. About the Magazine HEALTHY + ACTIVE is designed and written by the team of sports medicine specialists at Summit Orthopedics to provide everyday tips, tools, and expert advice… Read More.
Summit’s surgical protocols enhance the safety and comfort of hip replacement recovery.