Brian L. Walters, M.D.
The idea is to find out what each patient’s goals are. From there, we seek to find a way to get the best solution while offering the patient more than one option for treatment.
- Sports & Active Medicine
- Knee Care
- Arthritis Care
- Shoulder Care
- Adult Joint Reconstruction
- Arthroscopic Surgery
At Summit, each physician hand selects a team of medical and administrative professionals who work together to care for you, our patient. Read more about our team approach to care.
Meet Brian Walters, M.D.
Dr. Walters is a respected sports medicine surgeon in the Twin Cities area. He joined Summit Orthopedics after practicing with TRIA in Maple Grove for more than seven years. Dr. Walters is adept at caring for athletes of all ages and levels, and his practice spans sports medicine, arthroplasty, innovative approaches including biologics, and other techniques. He has extensive experience with complex shoulder surgery as well as total knee replacement.
After completing his undergraduate degree at the University of Connecticut, Dr. Walters earned a master’s degree from Boston University before attending medical school in Israel. He completed his residency training in orthopedic surgery at Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan. He then completed additional fellowship training in orthopedic sports medicine at Andrews Sports Medicine Institute, St. Vincent’s Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama.
Growing up on the East Coast in a family of six kids who had their fair share of broken bones and sprained joints, orthopedics interested Dr. Walters from an early age. As he went through graduate school and medical school, he homed in on orthopedic sports medicine as the specialty that best fits his interest and expertise.
Dr. Walters’ practice philosophy
Dr. Walters describes his practice approach as developing a two-way relationship with his patients. He works together with patients to find solutions that will address each patient’s goals and lifestyle.
“The idea is to find out what each patient’s goals are. From there, we seek to find a way to get the best solution while offering the patient more than one option for treatment,” Dr. Walters said. It’s important to Dr. Walters to offer more than one option for patients, keeping the goal front and center. He also works with athletes of all ages, helping to keep them healthy and ready to continue pursuing the sport they love for as long as possible.
He values being open-minded and innovative. “Having a lot of transparency and good communication with patients helps set the patient up for success,” he said.
He finds orthopedic surgery and sports medicine rewarding areas of medicine in which to practice. He loves to help people get back to the active lives they were living before injury sidelined them. “What I like best about my practice and the patients I work with is that they’re extremely motivated to get better, so that they can be active and high functioning. Helping them get there is very rewarding,” he said.
When he’s not working, Dr. Walters enjoys spending time with his family, especially his two young children. He loves to cook and travel in his free time.
Orthopedic Sports Medicine Fellowship
Andrews Sports Medicine Institute
St. Vincent’s Hospital — Birmingham, Alabama
Orthopedic Surgery Residency
Lenox Hill Hospital — New York, New York
Doctor of Medicine
Sackler School of Medicine — Tel Aviv, Israel
Masters of Science
Boston University School of Medicine — Boston, Massachusetts
Bachelors of Science | Molecular Biology
University of Connecticut Storrs, — Connecticut
- AAOS-American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery Fellow
- AOSSM-American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
- ISHA-International Society for Hip Arthroscopy
- Walters BL. Editorial Commentary: #Capsule-ophilesRejoice! The Evidence in Support of Diligent Capsular Management During Hip Arthroscopy Can No Longer Be Ignored. Arthroscopy. 2020 Jan; 36(1):124-126. doi: 10.1016/j.arthro.2019.09.049.
- Dugas JR, Looze CA, Capogna B, Walters BL, Jones CM, Rothermich MA, Fleisig GS, Aune KT, Drogosz M, Wilk KE, Emblom BA, Cain EL Jr. Ulnar Collateral Ligament Repair With Collagen-Dipped FiberTape Augmentation in Overhead Throwing Athletes. Am J Sports Med. 2019 Apr; 47(5):1096-1102. doi: 10.1177/0363546519833684.
- Brian Lee Walters, David Alexander Porter, Sarah J Hobart, Benjamin B Bedford, Daniel E Hogan, Malachy P. McHugh, Devon A Klein, Kendall Harousseau and Stephen J Nicholas. Effect of Intraoperative Platelet-Rich-Plasma Treatment on Post-Operative Donor Site Knee Pain in Patellar Tendon Autograft ACL Reconstruction: A DoubleBlind Randomized Controlled Trial.
American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2018 Jul; 46(8).
- Shearin JW, Walters B, Yang SS. Flexor Carpi Radialis to Palmaris Longus Tendon Transfer for Spontaneous Rupture of the Flexor Carpi Radialis Tendon-A Review of an Uncommon Finding and Surgical Technique for Operative Correction.
J Hand Surg Asian Pac Vol. 2016 Oct; 21(3):417-21
- Dugas Jeffrey, Chronister J, Walters BL. Biomechanical Comparison of Ulnar Collateral Ligament Repair With Internal Bracing Versus Modified Jobe Reconstruction. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2016 Mar; 44 (3):735-41
- Cooper JH, Walters BL, Rodriguez JA. Anatomy of the Hip Capsule and Pericapsular Structures: A Cadaveric Study. Clinical Anatomy. 2015; Jul; 28 (5):665-71
- Walters BL, Cooper JH, Rodriguez JA. New Findings in Hip Capsular Anatomy:
Dimensions of Capsular Thickness and Pericapsular Contributions. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery. October 2014; 30: 1235-1245
Doctor Walters is professional, efficient, knowledgeable and always willing to approach my care in a way where I feel involved/included in the process. A true pro, I am grateful for Dr. Walters!
Dr. Walters is the best, so understanding, and treats you like a person not a number.
I very much appreciate the expertise of Dr. Walters. He did a very excellent job and knew his work very well. Much appreciated. Thank you.
Dr. Brian Walters is very impressive and knowledgeable. I look forward to continuing working with him.
Dr. Walters provides consistent, excellent care. I couldn’t be happier with the results of my shoulder repair.
Articles and Videos from Brian L. Walters, M.D.
What Is a Joint Revision? [Video]
Ask the Expert
What Is a Cartilage Injury, and What Can I Do About It?
Summit sports medicine surgeon Brian Walters, M.D., discusses cartilage injury, its causes, and treatment options.
Introducing Brian Walters, M.D. [Video]
Meet the Expert: Doctor Bio Video Series
How Can Older Athletes Stay Active?
Summit orthopedic surgeon and sports medicine physician Brian Walters, M.D., discusses some tips for older athletes who want to keep playing the sport they love.
Meet Brian Walters, M.D.
Dr. Walters is a respected sports medicine surgeon in the Twin Cities area who has extensive experience with complex shoulder surgery as well as total knee replacement.