Benefits Of Cervical Disc Replacement
Two-level cervical disc replacement surgery is an advanced surgical technique offered at Summit Orthopedics. We explain the advantages of this new treatment option.
Dr. Nick Wills, an orthopedic spine surgeon at Summit Orthopedics, remembers when he first heard about a new artificial disc technology that was approved to treat two levels of degenerative discs in the cervical spine. Dr. Wills shares the benefits of cervical disc replacement.
“Our job as surgeons is always to find the safest and most appropriate technologies to help make people better,” he says. “The ability to use this new technology at two levels was something no one else had, and no one else was doing. The real advantage of this option was reflected in two-year and four-year data showing superior outcomes.”
In addition to restoring disc height, the device was able to maintain segmental motion between the replaced discs in the cervical spine.
“When patients can maintain movement, there are going to be advantages,” Dr. Wills explains. “The disc technology we use allows post-operative neck motion in multiple directions. Some artificial discs allow motion back and forth, but the technology we use also allows movement from side to side and on multiple planes, which helps to preserve the patient’s normal physiologic motion.”
Benefits of cervical disc replacement
- Disc replacement improves function after surgery. Because the disc replacement devices preserves more normal neck motion, patients are able to reclaim a wider range of head and neck movement after surgery. Increased movement means increased day-to-day function and better quality of life.
- Motion preservation reduces stress on the spine. Traditional fusion surgery locks the treated vertebrae in place. The loss of motion can put stress on adjacent vertebrae and cause further degeneration in the future. Because disc replacement surgery maintains motion and prevents increased stress, it may help protect the adjacent vertebrae from additional degeneration over time.
- Minimally invasive surgery offers a faster recovery. After fusion surgery, patients must be immobilized for a period of time while the fused vertebrae heal. Recovery from disc replacement surgery is much faster; patients have returned to work within four days of surgery. Disc replacement surgery also means that patients don’t have to worry about some of the potential complications of fusion surgery.
“This new technology enables us to offer patients an option to two-level fusion surgery,” says Dr. Wills. “Our goal is to make our patients happy, and to provide them with the best solution available.”
Cervical disc replacement treatment
Summit Orthopedics is home to Minneapolis/St. Paul’s top spine specialists for cervical disc replacement. If you are experiencing symptoms of degenerative disc disease, the spine team at Summit Orthopedics will work with you to confirm a diagnosis and develop an appropriate conservative treatment plan to address your problems. If nonsurgical treatments fail to support your lifestyle goals, fellowship-trained spine surgeons are here to consult with you and discuss appropriate surgical options, such as cervical disc replacement.
Summit Orthopedics offers comprehensive spine expertise
Our back specialists diagnose spine problems and design custom treatment plans built on a conservative, nonsurgical approach. Most patients find relief through treatments including guided injections, specialized physical therapy, biofeedback, exercise, activity modification, and medication. When conservative care does not relieve symptoms, our highly skilled surgeons offer proven, evidence-based surgical options. Together with you, we will determine the right course of action.
Summit has convenient locations across the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area, serving Minnesota and western Wisconsin. We have state-of-the-art centers for comprehensive orthopedic care in Eagan, MN, Plymouth, MN, Vadnais Heights, MN, and Woodbury, MN, as well as additional community clinics throughout the metro and southern Minnesota.
- Watch the video: Replacing Damaged Discs
- Read the article: Evaluating Surgical Options For Degenerative Discs
- Summit Orthopedics: A Leader in Total Disc Replacement Surgery
- Get the question answered: Who Is A Good Candidate For Disc Replacement Surgery?
More resources for you
- Check out additional information on Summit’s approach to spine care
- See Summit’s treatment options for neck, back, and spine care
- Ask Dr. Strothman: How Do I Prepare For Spine Fusion Surgery?
- Avoid a Pain in the Neck
- Learn more about: Surgical Spine Procedures
- Ask Dr. Strothman: When Is Surgery Effective For A Herniated Disc?
Summit sports medicine and shoulder surgery expert Michael Freehill, M.D., discusses the latest advancements in minimally invasive shoulder surgery.