Jodi’s Story | Arthroscopic Hip Labral Surgery
Hip Arthroscopy Rehabilitation
Patient Education Videos
Hip Arthroscopy: Pincer Resection, Labral Repair | Capsular Closure
Hip Arthroscopy: After-Surgery Tips
- 100% of patients would recommend Jack Skendzel, MD to family and friends
- Fitness Level: Concern about ability to maintain desired fitness level improved 3.3X comparing before and after Hip Scope Surgery at 12 months
- Quality of Life: Level of distraction caused by hip problem decreased 2.9% comparing before and after Hip Scope Surgery at 12 months
Downhill skiing, traveling, cooking, photography, hiking
Georgetown University School of Medicine – Washington, D.C.
University of Notre Dame – Notre Dame, Indiana
University of Michigan – Ann Arbor, Michigan
The Steadman Philippon Research Institute/The Steadman Clinic – Vail, Colorado
Subspecialty Certification in Sports Medicine, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- The American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- International Society for Hip Arthroscopy (ISHA)
Team Medical Coverage
Activities & Awards
- Team Physician Coverage, Livonia Churchill High School Varsity Football, Fall 2008 & Fall 2009 Seasons
- Team Physician Coverage, University of Michigan Men’s Hockey 2010-2011, 2011-2012 Season
- Team Physician Coverage, University of Michigan Men’s Basketball 2010-2011 Season
- Team Physician Coverage, University of Michigan Men’s Wrestling Team 2011-2012 Season
- Team Physician Coverage, Eastern Michigan University, Men’s Basketball 2010-2011 Season
- Team Physician Coverage, Eastern Michigan University, Women’s Basketball 2010-2011 Season
- Team Physician Coverage, Battle Mountain High School, Men’s Football 2012-2013 Season
- Team Physician Coverage, US Men’s Ski Team/United States Ski and Snowboard Association, New Zealand Camp, August 2012
- Team Physician Coverage, US Women’s Ski Team/United States Ski and Snowboard Association, Valle Nevado, Chile Camp, September 2012
- Team Physician Coverage, US Men’s Ski Team/ United States Ski and Snowboard Association, Copper Mountain Speed Center, November 2012
- Team Physician Coverage, US Women’s Ski Team Europa Cup Downhill, Jasna, Slovakia, January 2013
- Team Physician Coverage, GoPro Mountain Games, Vail, CO, June 2013
- Long JL, Ruberte-Thiele RA, Skendzel JG, Jeon J, Hughes RE, Miller BS, Carpenter JE. Activation of the Shoulder Musculature During Pendulum Exercises and Light Activities. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2010;40:230-237. PMID: 20200451
- Skendzel JG, Blaha JD, Urquhart AG. Total Hip Arthroplasty Modular Neck Failure. J Arthroplasty 2011;26:338.e1-e4. PMID: 20381993
- Skendzel JG, Sekiya JK. Arthroscopic Glenoid Osteochondral Allograft Reconstruction without Subscapularis Takedown: Technique and Literature Review. Arthroscopy 2011;27:129-135. PMID: 21187250
- Skendzel JG, Jacobson JA, Carpenter JE, Miller BS. Long Head of Biceps Brachii Tendon Evaluation: Accuracy of Preoperative Ultrasound. Am Journal of Roentgenology (AJR) 2011;197:942-948. PMID: 21940583
- Skendzel JG, Sekiya JK, Wojtys EM. Current Concepts in the Management of the Multiple Ligament-Injured Knee. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2012;42:234-242. PMID: 2238035
- Skendzel JG, Sekiya JK. Diagnosis and Management of Humeral Head Bone Loss in Shoulder Instability. Am J Sports Med 2012;40(11):2633-44. PMID: 22343756
- Knesek MJ, Skendzel JG, Kelly BT, Bedi A. Approach to the Patient Evaluation using Static and Dynamic Hip Pathomechanics. Oper Tech Sports Med 2012;20:260-272.
- Knesek MJ, Skendzel JG, Dines JS, Altchek DW, Allen AA, Bedi A. Diagnosis and Management of Superior Labrum Anterior Posterior (SLAP) Tears in Throwing Athletes. Am J Sports Med 2013;41:444-460. PMID: 23172004
- Mehran N, Skendzel JG, Lesniak BP, Bedi A. Contemporary Graft Options in Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Oper Tech Sports Med 2013;21:10-18.
- Skendzel JG, Goljan P, Philippon MJ. An Update on Hip Instability. Minerva Ortopedica e Traumatologica 2013;64(1):1-13.
- Weber AG, Skendzel JG, Waxman DL, Blaha JD. Aseptic Hydrogen Pneumarthrosis as a Sign of Crevice Corrosion Following Modular Neck Total Hip Arthroplasty. JBJS Case Connector 2013 Jul 24;3(3):e76 1-6.
- Skendzel JG, Philippon MJ. Management of Labral Tears of the Hip in Young Patients. Orthop Clin North Am; published online 29 July 2013.
- Skendzel JG, Weber AG, Ross JR, Larson CM, Leunig M, Kelley BT, Bedi A. The Approach to the Evaluation and Surgical Treatment of Mechanical Hip Pain in the Young Patient, for The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (Am);95(18):E133 1-16.
- Skendzel JG, Sekiya JK. Arthroscopic and Open Glenoid Allograft Reconstruction for Shoulder Instability, uploaded to http://www.vumedi.com.
- Skendzel JG, Sekiya JK. Reconstruction of Hill-Sachs Lesions with Humeral Head Allograft, uploaded to http://www.vumedi.com.
- Skendzel JG, Warth R, Millett PJ. Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty, Instructional Video for the 2014 AAOS Annual Meeting in New Orleans, LA.
- Skendzel JG, Bedi A. Tendon Degeneration in the Rotator Cuff, in Basic Principles and Operative Management of the Rotator Cuff, edited by Ma CB and Feeley BT. (In Print)
- Knesek MJ, Skendzel JG, Bedi A. Computer Navigation in Hip Arthroscopy, in Operative Hip Arthroscopy, 3rd edition, edited by Byrd JWT. (In Print)
- Skendzel JG, Sekiya JK. Treatment of Combined Bone Defects of the Humeral Head and Glenoid: Arthroscopic and Open Techniques, in Surgical Techniques of the Shoulder, Elbow, and Knee in Sports Medicine 2nd Edition, edited by Cole BJ and Sekiya JK. (In Print)
- Skendzel JG, Philippon MJ, Bedi A. Outcomes in Return to Sport, in Sports Hip Injuries: Diagnosis and Management, edited by Kelly BT, Bedi A, and Larson C. (Pending Publication)
- Knesek MJ, Skendzel JG, Bedi A. Introduction to Static and Dynamic Hip Overload. Invited Book chapter. (Pending Publication)
- Dr. Skendzel featured in MD News article.
Dr. Skendzel was the lead author on a study investigating the effect of arthritis on outcomes after hip arthroscopy which was published this summer in The American Journal of Sports Medicine.
- Skendzel JG, Philippon MJ, Briggs KK, Goljan P. The Effect of Joint Space on Midterm Outcomes After Arthroscopic Hip Surgery for Femoroacetabular Impingement, in The American Journal of Sports Medicine. May 2014 vol. 42 no. 5 1127-1133